Senior Designer/Design Lead – Brand Identity
We're looking for an experienced, brand-focused designer to lead, inspire, and motivate a team to create and deliver modern brand identities.
Studio Science is seeking a highly strategic, brand identity designer with experience building brands from the ground up and crafting compelling brand experiences for clients across categories. As the leader of a team, they will actively collaborate with clients and our internal team to direct and execute powerful, design-driven visual identities and corporate marketing initiatives. In addition, they’ll work with Client Experience Managers to spot issues before they turn into problems, manage changes in scope, and keep projects on time and on budget. This role is part project owner, part team leader, and part master-level craftsperson. If you use design to envision the future, adapt quickly, and thrive by working with innovative, high-growth clients, this is the place for you.
This role reports to the Director of Brand Design.
- Take a hands-on approach to understand and effectively operate at the intersection of complexity and ambiguity, translating business strategy, contextual research, language, and processes into creative concepts and solutions
- Identify known and unknown opportunities based on a deep understanding of the business objectives of mid-market and enterprise clients
- Collaborate across internal practice areas and client departments to create fully immersive brands and experiences
- Develop concepts, translating them into moodboards, visual identity systems, websites, and other physical, digital, and environmental brand experiences that go beyond the obvious or accepted solution
- Have a point of view of how the work addresses the client challenge and express it well in presentationsContribute to supporting new brand identity business when necessary
- Communicate regularly with the Design Director about issues, team dynamics, workloads, new opportunities, etc.
- Build strong relationships with clients that foster trust, serving as an expert for brand identity and corporate marketing projects
- Engage with clients on a strategic level and partner with Client Experience Managers to facilitate a seamless experience with the studio
- Provide rationale for the team's aesthetic and strategic thinking to VP to C-level roles, supporting all design decisions with creative, strategic and/or business reasoning
- Engage in the design community, in recruitment efforts, and help build an influential creative network
- Participate in building a strong, profitable and respected brand identity design practice by contributing relevant thought leadership for internal marketing efforts
- Manage multiple projects for various clients and meet all deadlines
- Up-to-date portfolio of work demonstrating creative problem solving across several accounts
- Bachelor’s degree in Branding, Graphic Design or a related field (experience with design thinking frameworks and practices is preferred)
- 10+ years experience in graphic design / art direction within creative or branding agencies, or a mix of agency and in-house experience (enterprise accounts and/or SaaS a plus)
- Experience managing and motivating a team of creatives comprised of both mid-level and senior roles
- Experience with leading and/or participating in the development of brand strategy and brand positioning deliverables
- Strong knowledge of the interests, needs and concerns of modern businesses
- Exceptional client management skills and willingness to participate in and support business development
- Strong systems level thinking and rationale
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent collaboration skills (management experience a plus)
- Ability to thrive in an environment of continual feedback; address stressful situations with poise, understanding, and tact
- Expert-level skills in Adobe Creative Suite, Microsoft Office, and G Suite required; knowledge of InVision or other prototyping and wireframing tools desired
- Work on-site in Indianapolis, Indiana
Studio Science provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Studio Science complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.